Saturday, November 07, 2015

River Reflections

Hold your horses because this might get a little sentimental. 

It’s been a few months so I feel ready to make some reflections.  Slowly but surely I am working my way through these and fixing my shameful spelling and grammar errors (I am blaming them on writing at the end of paddling days on an iPhone without my glasses).

ANYWAY

When we got to the sign marking the end of the Suwannee and the start of the Gulf of Mexico I am ashamed to admit that I shed a solitary and poetic tear.  It may not have been poetic, actually, but it felt that way.  I had finished, with two of the most wonderful people i know, a great adventure.  I had seen more of my homestate in the course of 12 days than many people see in 12 years. I have frequently thought about our time with the Suwannee in the past month or so since we finished.  There is very little that I would like to do as much as I would like to go back to the beginning and see the whole river again. 

This blog still gets way more page views than my ramblings and poor grammar deserve and I have been emailed by so many wonderful folks who have questions about details or want to go on their own trip.  All I can say is thank you for your support and that I am sorry I am not a great resource but I will continue to do my best to answer any questions y’all have for me. I have been so encouraged about the overall state of the world by the overwhelming response of people who feel compelled by my weird trip to go outside and appreciate Florida’s incredible natural spaces. 

If you're interested in kayaking/canoeing the Suwannee yourself here are some links that I found helpful when planning our trip and one piece of advice PACK OUT YOUR TRASH!!!

- www.canoe-suwannee.com
- www.paddling.net is a GREAT resource for all sorts of trips, I especially like this suwannee river report:
- www.paddling.net/places/showReport.html?1688
- johnnymolloy.com/florida/
- backshortly.wordpress.com/boating/suwanee-river-agenda/
That last one is a great resource as far as mile marks so that you know where you are on the river, it helps the day pass a little bit quicker if you know what to look for.

I hope all of your adventures go well!

No comments:

Post a Comment